Monday, January 23, 2012

Dyeing to Dye

I've recently learned to spin but rather than buy colored wool roving I've decided to buy a bunch that is undyed and neutral colored so that I can learn to dye. Learning to dye is also exciting because I love playing with color and the thought of having custom colored yarn is too tempting. This is my first attempt at dying my own wool roving:



I've looked at various home dying tutorials but one of my favorites was on YouTube by a user named jennscharf. Her video shows how to simply dye the wool roving by placing it in a metal turkey pan, pouring vinegar water over it and then dripping food coloring and blending with a fork. Then you bake it in the oven for a couple hours. (Please check out the YouTube video for exact instructions.) I tried this process and am really pleased with the results.


No comments:

Post a Comment