Saturday, August 27, 2011

Pulled out a plum


Today my craft adventure was trying out a new baking recipe. I am a subscriber to the Renaissance Magazine which full of fabulous historical information about the Renaissance and Middle Ages as well as reenactments. Issue number 80 contained a great recipe for plum bread in which you can use fresh or canned plums.


Because I have been recently frequenting the farmers markets I had a whole batch of plums that were becoming overripe. And just like bananas making bread out of them is such a great way to keep them from going to waste. I pretty much followed the recipe except that I used blackberry brandy. I just happened to have caraway seeds, and  they do give the bread an interesting twist. And I must say that the resulting bread was really yummy.



Plumb Bread
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
1 can crushed plumbs (or fresh, if in season)
Nutmeg (to taste - start with a pinch)
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup brandy (or cream)

Directions:
Cream together the butter and sugar. Gradually add beaten eggs. ix in the caraway seed, plumbs, and the nutmeg. Add the flour (sifted) along with the baking powder. Add the brandy or cream. Toss it in the oven at 400 degrees for one hour.




Renaissance Magazine Issue 80
Renaissance Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment