Wednesday, February 1, 2012

On a Roll

The other day I was feeling hungry, and also creative. I was hungry for Japanese/Hawaiian style Spam masubi (I know spam sounds weird, but I like it) which is sushi rice with fried Spam on top. But I was also hungry for Vietnamese style spring rolls (the soft ones, not the fried ones). So I decided to combine the two and see what happened.


Spring Roll Wrappers

Normally when you make spring rolls you use a rice wrapper filled with vermicelli noodles, shrimp, carrots, cucumber, sprouts, lettuce and mint.



But I didn't have all of those things handy, so here is what I did instead: A rice wrapper (dipped in water to make it soft, sushi rice, SPAM (fried in sweet unagi sauce), romaine lettuce, and red cabbage.


Forgive the messy wrapping job, but it was yummy
 The dipping sauce was my husbands creation based on one we had at a restaurant. It's a little water, hoisen sauce, almond or peanut butter, and soy sauce melted together in a sauce pan.


No comments:

Post a Comment